Sunday, July 18, 2010

It all started with a composter

So my first move into the world of crunch was the composter. I got it 2 years ago and let it sit last summer full of ...well stuff. So this year I planted a few measley cukes and lettuce and used the compost around the lettuce. Well low and behold that "stuff" was dirt!! In addition to some great yields of lettuce I also got a few bonus tomato plants! We are waiting to see what happens with those.
Nothing has been more satisfying than eating the free stuff from your own garden! Next year I plan to expand to more tomato plants via those hanging bag things, squash, more lettuce, and with any luck some berries or perhaps a fruit tree? The in ground pool takes up quite a bit of space.
With what we have gotten from the cukes I have done salad, mixed vegetable salad(squash, cukes, parsley, tomato with mayo and a bit of vinegar), and finally just cut up a few small ones and put them into left over pickle juice! The kids are thrilled that we might make our own pickles.
I have also purchased a grain miller and a 45 lb bucket of wheat berries. Will go into that, the fact that I have not used shampoo in a week, or deoderant for that matter, and that I am choosing to NOT replace the broken dishwasher!

0 comments: