Thursday, August 5, 2010

What in the heck is mama cloth?

Okay this is by far the CRUNCHIEST thing I have ever attempted! Mama cloth is reusable maxi pads! Yes, there I said it out loud! Crazy idea to some but continue to read. I bought a bunch this past month and patiently waited to need them. Well the past few days have been my maiden voyage.
I have heard many tales of women suffering month after month with cramping....heavy bleeding....all symptoms disappearing once they began using mama cloth. The reason? The lack of chemicals that help absorb! The chemicals not only absorb but encourage more blood flow, cause irritation, and in essence cause cramping. Am I a believer? Yes.
So I started out my journey as any skeptic would and wore one over a regular pad. No leakage, no icky feeling, less flow. That's all I can say. Honestly I know it grosses people out to think about cleaning these but is it any different than any other body waste? Since I use cloth diapers it is actually a breeze. Rinse, launder, dry in the dryer.

Okay now on to something less ick-deoderant.
After each pregnancy I find that my deoderant stops working. Odd but true. The problem is that with 6 kids I am running out of options. Now years ago there was rumor that the aluminum in it caused breast cancer but this myth has since been dispelled. But ask yourself this. Do I really need to put chemicals under my arms? How many days do I sweat anyway and then smell like flowery sweat?
Here's the deal. I mixed coconut oil, cornstarch, and baking soda together and a few drops of lemon essential oil. I did fill an old deoderant container with it but it doesn't seem to be turning up so I may need to rethink that. Anyway, the bottom line on this is that my armpits smell like....nothing! As for sweating it appears that the less I try to prevent it the less I sweat! Makes sense that if you try to stop something your body does naturally it will try even harder to do it, right? This has been the same thing for the no-poo method for my hair. The more you try to take the oils off your scalp using harsh shampoo...the more oil it makes! More on that later.

0 comments: