Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The value of a dollar

Recently money has become a big topic in our house. "Will I get paid for it?" has become a very common question. Excuse me? You live here and are fed and clothed! No you won't get paid to do that! What is up with kids needing money to do the smallest task? Mow the lawn, wash the car(and I mean really wash and not just go through the motions in order to have a water fight), do household chores REGULARLY without being begged....stuff like that deserves a bit of a payment. However, if you are asked for the 20th time to put your shoes in your cubby, or you backpack in your cubby, or to simply pick your freakin dirty underwear off the floor...no payment. Payment is the fact that I have not yet killed you for having to repeat myself so many times.
Money has become the be all and end all of society it seems. Chasing it has become a fulltime job and hobby of most Americans. I like money and lots of it. I like designer clothes, my new Honda van with becoup bells and whistles, my big 'ole pool in the back yard, vacations to Hilton Head and Disney every year....you see where I am going with this. I don't see the need to worship money or act like I have something I don't have. These are the people that REALLY annoy me. We do need to reign in the spending and teach the value of a buck to our kids. DS thinks that when he gets his license he should be getting a new car. Now granted I see a small, but new import in his near future, but certainly not a 350z or something radical like that. Momma will be balding tires on her convertible sports car long before he gets one! Saving and prioritizing need to become more frequent topics in our house. Do I NEED it or just WANT it? What are all of my options? I see the need to create responsible spenders. Too many times people take short cuts to avoid being responsible..oh say insurance fraud or the popular walking away from the debt, but what does that teach the person? NADA freakin thing. Even worse it perpetuates a sense of bad money management that is passed on to the children. If you run up the bills pay the damn bills! We can live on very little when needed. Common sense people!

0 comments: